:: research ::
After I completed my his master project at EPFL, I graduated in 2003 with a M.S. in microengineering. Since 2003, I worked as research assistant and Ph.D. candidate in the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems at EPFL, under the superposition of Jean-Christophe Zufferey and Dario Floreano. In 2009, I received a Ph.D. in autonomous flying robotics. My research interests are in bio-inspired aerial robotics.
In 2009, I co-founded and became CTO of senseFly, a company active in the domain of autonomous micro-UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) for civil applications.
During my PhD, I contributed to the Microflyers project, which aims at developing bioinspired control strategies and neuromorphic chips for autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) capable of navigating in cluttered environments. My work lead to optiPilot, a novel vision-based control strategy that allows fully autonomous flight in cluttered environment without requirement for the 6-degree-of-freedom state estimation usually provided by GPS and AHRS.
- A. Beyeler, J.-C. Zufferey and D. Floreano (2009) Vision-based control of near-obstacle flight. Autonomous Robots, 27(3) pp. 201-219. [pdf] [mp4] [mp4]
- A. Beyeler (2009) Vision-based control of near-obstacle flight. Ph.D. Thesis, 2009. [pdf]
- A. Beyeler, J.-C. Zufferey and D. Floreano (2009) optiPilot: control of take-off and landing using optic flow. Proceedings of the 2009 European Micro Air Vehicle conference and competition (EMAV '09). [pdf] [mp4]
- J.-C. Zufferey, A. Beyeler and D. Floreano (2009) Optic Flow to Steer and Avoid Collisions in 3D. in Flying Insects and Robots, Berlin: Springer, 2009.
- A. Beyeler, S. Magnenat. and A. Habersaat (2008) Ishtar: a flexible and lightweight software for remote data access. European Micro Air Vehicle Conference (EMAV '08). [pdf]
- A. Beyeler, J.-C. Zufferey and D. Floreano (2007) 3D Vision-based Navigation for Indoor Microflyers. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '07). [pdf] [mp4]
- A. Beyeler, C. Mattiussi, J.-C. Zufferey and D. Floreano (2006) Vision-based Altitude and Pitch Estimation for Ultra-light Indoor Aircraft. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '06), pp. 2836-2841. [pdf]